This is one of the most common issues I find in homes in and around Yateley. Not having enough sockets can be a nuisance. Not only can it be frustrating, not having enough sockets or having sockets in the wrong places can be a safety hazard too. The more wall sockets you have in your home the less you will need an extension cable or adapter.
When having electrical work carried out in your home you should speak with your Electrician to discuss the positioning of your sockets and the options to install extra ones.
However, many portable electrical items like lamps and radios are sometimes supplied with short cables. Therefore sometimes it is unavoidable not to have to use an extension lead. So if you must use one be beware of the following dangers:
- Damaged cable, due to leads being walked over, continually bent at the same point or stored badly.
- You can trip or fall over taut, over-stretched cable.
- Leads on power tools frequently become tangled, leading to one of the conductors eventually failing – this could cause danger.
- Overuse of multi-way adapters or adapter blocks, which increases the risk of fire
An extension lead should only be used when it is not possible to reach a wall socket with the equipment cable. When the use of an extension cable is unavoidable – follow these simple suggestions:
- Only use an extension lead which was bought ready-assembled.
- We recommend that no extension lead be more than 15 metres long.
- Only use extension leads fitted with suitably insulated connectors and plugs. (Never join two lengths of flexible cable by twisting the bare ends of wires together.)
- Position an extension lead carefully to prevent any risk of damage.
- If the cable has to cross a pathway, cover it with a rubber protector strip.
- Always check that leads, plugs and sockets are undamaged.
- Always check the extension lead plug contains the correctly rated fuse for the equipment being used.
- If using a cable drum extension lead, it should be completely unwound to avoid overheating.
- For general use, 2-core extension leads should not be used.
To ensure you are not overloading your extension lead, you can use the Socket Overload Calculator HERE